Friendly and Inclusive Spaces Awards
Organised by the UIA Architecture for All Work Programme, the Friendly and Inclusive Spaces Awards were established to promote inspiring buildings and sites that have created socially sustainable environments through high quality architectural design.
A special award will also be given for evidence-based design research that makes a significant contribution to improved quality of life through facilitating a better understanding of human-centred design and its application to the design of the built environment.
- New buildings
- Refurbished existing buildings, including historic buildings
- Public and open spaces
- Research undertaken by architect(s) on the theory or practice of universal design
Projects designed by architect member(s) of a UIA Member Section that have been completed after 30 November 2016.
The submission text must be in English. Links to further information may be in the entrants' national language.
- 31 July 2019: award launch
- 15 September 2019: deadline for questions
- 30 October 2019: deadline for submission of entries & stage 1 entry fee
- 30 January 2020: announcement of shortlisted entrants
- 30 March 2020: deadline for submission of stage 2 entries
- 30 April 2020: announcement of winners
A medal and up to three (3) honourable mentions will be awarded for each of the categories 1, 2 and 3. The winner of category 4 and up to two honourable mentions will receive UIA certificates. The jury reserves the right not to award any prizes if no entry reaches the required standards.
The Architecture for All Work Programme will present the prizes for the third edition of "Friendly and Inclusive Spaces" during the official awards ceremony at the 27th UIA World Congress in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from 19-23 July 2020.
Projects candidatures may be uploaded directly to the UIA's Awardforce platform