THE INTERNATIONAL CONTEXTUAL ARCHITECTURE AWARD IN MEMORY OF ARCHITECT TURGUT CANSEVER
Antalya Kepez Municipality, in cooperation with the Antalya Branch of the Chamber of Architects of Turkey, has organised the "The International Contextual Architecture Awards in memory of Architect Turgut Cansever".
Endorsed by the International Union of Architects (UIA), these Awards seek proposals that exhibit original interpretations of Turkish architect Turgut Cansever's design principles. These principles include adapting design to regional characteristics, thereby promoting cultural continuity, regional values and distinctive local attributes. The award seeks to highlight the importance of local identity in a globalised world.
Known for his contextual approach to architecture and urban planning prioritising regional expression, context-specific design and architectural quality, Turgut Cansever (1921-2009) is the only architect ever to win the Aga Khan Award for Architecture three times.
The Awards are divided into three parts:
- The Turgut Cansever Grand Prix, which recognises an architect whose lifelong commitment to a contextual approach to the contemporary built environment prioritises local and regional identity as well as environmental sensibilities.
- The Turgut Cansever International Award, attributed to an architectural project by an architect or architectural firm from any country in the world. The project should embody the values Turget Cansever emphasised in his own work.
- The Turgut Cansever Local Award is attributed to an architectural project realised in the province of Antalya, Turkey and embodying the values Turgut Cansever emphasised in his own work.
The international jury is composed of Süha Özkan (Turkey), C. Abdi Güzer (Turkey), Juhani Pallasmaa (Finland), Raj Rewal (India) and UIA Representative Iman Gawad (Egypt). The alternate jury members are Deniz Büyükkurt (Turkey) and Katerina Korbut (Belarus).
In each category, the winner will receive:
- Turgut Cansever Grand Prize: 25 000 TL (approximately 2 315 Euros)
- Turgut Cansever International Prize: 20 000 TL (approximately 1 852 Euros)
- Turgut Cansever Local Award: 15 000 TL (approximately 1 389 Euros)
The award is open to architects from all countries who have realised projects, either individually or as a team.
20 January 2022: Deadline for entries
10 February 2022: Jury meeting
22 February 2022: Award ceremony and opening of exhibition
Results of the prize will be announced by the Antalya Branch of the Chamber of Architects of Turkey at least 10 days before the award ceremony, which will be held during the week of February 22, the anniversary of Turgut Cansever's death.