2024 Skyscraper Competition
eVolo Magazine is pleased to invite architects, students, engineers, designers, and artists from around the globe to take part in the 2024 Skyscraper Competition.
Established in 2006, the annual Skyscraper Competition is one of the world's most prestigious awards for high-rise architecture. It recognizes outstanding ideas that redefine skyscraper design through the implementation of novel technologies, materials, programs, aesthetics, and spatial organizations; along with studies on globalization, flexibility, adaptability, and the digital revolution. It is a forum that examines the relationship between the skyscraper and the natural world, the skyscraper and the community, and the skyscraper and the city.
The participants should take into consideration the advances in technology, the exploration of sustainable systems, and the establishment of new urban and architectural methods to solve economic, social, and cultural problems of the contemporary city including the scarcity of natural resources and infrastructure and the exponential increase of inhabitants, pollution, economic division, and unplanned urban sprawl.
The competition is an investigation of the public and private space and the role of the individual and the collective in the creation of a dynamic and adaptive vertical community. It is also a response to the exploration and adaptation of new habitats and territories based on a dynamic equilibrium between man and nature – a new kind of responsive and adaptive design capable of intelligent growth through the self-regulation of its own systems.
There are no restrictions in regards to site, program, or size. The objective is to provide maximum freedom to the participants to engage the project without constraints in the most creative way. What is a skyscraper in the 21st century? What are the historical, contextual, social, urban, and environmental responsibilities of these mega-structures?
eVolo Magazine is committed to continuing stimulating the imagination of designers around the world – thinkers that initiate a new architectural discourse of economic, environmental, intellectual, and perceptual responsibility that could ultimately modify what we understand as a contemporary skyscraper, its impact on urban planning and on the improvement of our way of life.
- Participants must register by September 1, 2023.
- Early Registration: USD $95 until December 19, 2023.
- Late Registration: USD $135 from December 20, 2023 to February 27, 2024.
- September 1, 2023 – Competition announcement and registration opens.
- December 19, 2023 – Early registration deadline
- February 27, 2024 – Late registration deadline
- March 12, 2024 – Project submission deadline (23:59 hours US Eastern Time, UTC-5h)
- June 11, 2024 – Winners' announcement
- Jose Luis Campos Rosique [CEO, Crystalzoo]
- Zhe Huang, Li Huang, Yao Zhang [Principals, Office Off Course]
- Chang Lu, Duo Wang, Chufeng Wu, Shuxiao Zhang, Bozhi Zheng [Winners 2023 Skyscraper Competition]
- Dirk U. Moench [Principal, INUCE]
- 1st place – $5,000 USD
- 2nd place – $2,000 USD
- 3rd place – $1,000 USD
Winners, honorable mentions, and selected projects will be published in the forthcoming book EVOLO SKYSCRAPERS 4 (Summer 2024).